Have you tried buying shoes online for your child? How many pairs did you keep and how many did you end up returning? How did you know if they actually fit? There are two main benefits of purchasing shoes online for your child: convenience and selection.
I have been fitting children’s shoes for 5 years and counting, and I handle approximately two hundred fittings and try-ons per week. I can guarantee you that finding the right pair of shoes for a child is not an easy task since there are no two pair of feet alike, and there are many variables that will affect the type of shoe your child might need such as:
- Length of the foot.
- Instep of the foot.
- Width of the foot (narrow, medium, wide, or extra wide).
I created this post for parents who do not have a local children’s shoe store that they trust and they MUST purchase their kids shoes online. I know how most shoe brands for kids fit, and I am here to answer any questions you might have about a particular shoe style. Through this post, I will describe a set of guidelines that explain how to buy shoes online for kids.
Is It Possible To Buy Shoes Online For Kids? – Learn The Secret!
Buying shoes online can be a frustrating experience since foot size does not often translate to shoe size. Shoe sizes are inconsistent. The biggest mistake that parents make is assuming that since the child measures a foot size 10, the size will automatically translate in the correct shoe size. In reality, a shoe size 10 in the New Balance brand might run shorter or longer than a shoe size 10 in the Saucony brand.
Even in the same shoe brand, different styles will fit different!
Another mistake parents make is assuming that if the child has wide feet, that child will automatically need a wide pair of shoes. This is not TRUE at all since certain shoes run wider than others! With that said, I am familiar with most shoe brands for kids and I know exactly how they fit! It is possible to buy shoes online as long as you know your child’s foot size, how the particular style fits, and how to check for the fit once the shoe arrives at your house! I wrote an article where I explain you what guidelines to follow in order to make sure your child is wearing the correct shoe size and you can find that article here:
How Do I Know What Shoe Size To Order? – Get It Right!
Several online shoe retailers offer different devices to measure your kids feet from home. This is not an easy task to do, since those devices do not account for the instep of the foot, or consider whether you child has a narrow heel, low or high arch, wide or extra wide feet… If you are uncertain about your children shoe size, email me a trace of their feet along with a picture of it, and I will be able to tell you exactly what size they need.
Once you learn what your child measures, then you ONLY have the first step through this journey. You can start researching for shoes online, looking carefully through the reviews where parents describe whether the shoe fits short, long, narrow, or wide. However, we do not know if those customers are truly informed about their kids correct shoe size to begin with. I am here to guide you through the process and answer any questions you might have!
How Do I Know If The Shoe I Purchased Fits My Kids’ Foot?
Once the shoe arrives at your home, have your child try them on immediately.
- You want to make sure that you do not go over the return policy if the shoe doesn’t fit.
- Do not pull or detach any labels from the shoes.
- Make sure your child tries the shoe on with socks that fit (and with the socks he regularly wears).
- Have the child stand up without leaning on anything and check the width first followed by the length of the shoe. There should not be any pressure around the ball of the foot, where the widest part of the foot is. If you feel a bump in the side of the shoe, that is the small toe being pushed to the side. That means the shoe is not wide enough. There should be ½” of space between the end of the longest toe and the end of the inside of the shoe.
- Have the child walk around the house and run, and then ask the child how the shoes feel.
What Are The Advantages of Shopping Online For Shoes?
There are several advantages of shopping online for kids shoes:
- The convenience of shopping from your house.
- You will find discounts and good deals when purchasing shoes online.
- A huge nationwide inventory.
- Reviews from other customers can be very helpful in order to avoid any red flags in terms of the quality of the shoes. They will also contain detailed information about how long or short the shoe fits, the width, and the amount of arch support and overall style.
- 24/7 Availability.
- Avoid waiting in lines.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Buying Shoes Online?
- It is hard to get the right size without trying the shoes on.
- You won’t be able to feel the shoes to test the quality of the materials.
- You might end up wasting a lot of time returning shoes that don’t fit.
Extra Tips For Buying Your Kids’ Shoes Online!
- Because you might end up returning the shoes you buy that are not the right fit, be SURE to seek return policies that do not charge for shipping or returns.
- Have your child try the shoes right away. Do not remove any tags or labels since you will have a hard time returning the shoes. Make sure your child tries the shoes on inside the house. If the shoes are worn or dirty, companies will refuse to take them back.
Are You Ready To Shop For Your Kids’ Shoes Online?
Follow these guidelines in order to increase your chances of purchasing the right pair of shoes for your child:
- Make sure you know the correct shoe size that your child needs. If unsure about your kids shoe size, email me a trace of his or her foot and I will be able to tell what length and width your child needs.
- Once you are confident about the size and width that your child needs, start researching for the style of shoe that you want. Ask me about the particular style you like and I will be able to tell you how the shoe runs (long, short, narrow, or wide).
- Read the reviews from other customers that may be helpful in determining the quality and durability of the shoe.
- Only purchase from reputable stores.
- Make sure that the online retailer offers free returns since you may end up returning the shoes.
Buying shoes online for kids can be a frustrating experience and I only advise you to do this if there is not a local kids’ shoe store in your area that you trust. If you must shop online for your kids shoes, follow my guidelines in order to to make sure you get the right shoe size for their feet.
Not getting the correct shoe size for your child WILL lead to several foot issues! Also, please REMEMBER this: wearing the correct type and size socks is just as important as wearing the correct shoe size! Socks act as a barrier between our kids’ feet and the shoes! Below you can find a post where I describe the several problems that will happen if your child doesn’t wear the correct shoe size! You can find that article here:
Below you can find a selection of the best fitting children shoes! By this I mean durable shoes that provide excellent support and structure. They also come in all different widths such as medium, wide, and extra wide widths!
The shoes below will fit a child that has narrow, medium, or wide feet (choose the width accordingly).
This first selection of shoes fit “short”, which means that you need to go a whole size longer of the size that your child measures in the shoe measuring scale in order to allow for growing room.
The shoes below will fit a child with medium, wide, or extra wide feet.
This selection of shoes fit “true to size”, which means that you need to go a half a size longer of the size that your child measures in the shoe measuring scale in order to allow for growing room.
Do you normally shop for your kids’ shoes online or at your local children’s shoe store? Do you find yourself returning most of the shoes you purchase online? Please share your thoughts and experiences below so we can all benefit from them!
Certainly contact me via e-mail or in the comments section below with further questions that I will most likely be able to answer.