Are you having a hard time finding American-made shoes for your child? They are getting harder to find because most shoe companies outsource their production to China, Vietnam or Indonesia.
Why should you care about where you kids’ shoes are made? Here are the top 3 reasons:
- You are saving and creating American jobs!
- You are protecting the environment since many of the top countries where your children’s shoes come from have little to non-existent regulations when it comes to protecting the environment!
- You are supporting human rights since most of the countries we are importing shoes from have few workplace standards and poor working conditions.
I created a list that contains brands that make most of their shoes in the United States. If you think that shoe companies are not making their shoes in the USA anymore, think again! By purchasing shoes made in America, you are not only supporting American workers and safe working conditions, you are also supporting child labor laws.
Here is an interesting fact: During the 1960’s, the USA was the number ONE leading manufacturer of footwear.
Can you believe that now 99.8 % of the shoes sold in the USA are made abroad?
The only reason for this is corporate profits. Let’s see if we can find shoes that fit your kids’ feet and your values! Keep in mind that in most instances, American-made products are going to be higher priced because they are made of better quality.
I have been working for a specialized children’s shoe store for over 10 years now, and I know everything that relates to children’s shoes and the way they FIT. This is a specialized shoe store that focuses on children with foot and leg problems, but we provide regular shoe fittings as well. We carry some of the most supportive children’s shoes and orthotics, and I am familiar with which shoe brands and which shoe styles are better than others.
Since most children’s fitting shoe stores have been closing down, I have dedicated myself for the last 3 years to helping parents find the perfect pair of shoes for their children online.
Which Kids Shoe Brands Manufacture American-Made Shoes?
Below you can find a list of shoe brands that produce children’s shoes in the USA:
- Kepner Scott: Did you know that this brand makes shoes by hand and that they are located in Origsburg, Pennsylvania? This company makes everyday shoes, casual shoes, dress shoes, boots and sandals for children. Their shoes are reasonable priced considering that they are of such high quality. Their models are priced between $30 and $60, which are competitive priced and comparable to what you will pay in department stores for shoes.
- New Balance: Keep in mind that not all New Balance shoes are produced in America. However, this company does produce over four million pairs of shoes in the U.S. each year. You must check the label of the shoe in order to be certain that a particular shoe is American-made. Did you know that even then you will not be guaranteed a 100% American-made shoe? New Balance labels its shoes as “Made in the USA” if their “domestic value” is at least 70% of the shoe’s total price.
- Soft Star Shoes: Because their shoes are made in the USA, the customer receives superior customer service. They will NEVER let you get stuck with a pair that doesn’t fit right, and they have generous return and exchange policies. This is a socially and environmentally responsible kids’ shoe company. All of their shoes are designed to imitate barefoot walking that promotes natural foot development. However, I only believe that soft minimalist footwear should be worn when a child is learning how to walk, and not when the child is already walking.
A new national survey by the Consumer Reports National Research Center shows that 78% of Americans would favor a product made in the U.S rather than one made abroad. More than 80 percent of Americans stated keeping manufacturing jobs as one of the most important reasons for purchasing American products. About 60 percent of Americans were worried about the use of child labor, and stated how American-made products were of a higher quality.
Higher quality products are going to cost more, but we as consumers shouldn’t look at it as an extra cost, but rather as an investment in America. What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you read “Made in America”?
I automatically think of GOOD QUALITY!
Why is it Important for Kids to Wear Well-Made Shoes? – Let’s Find Out!
Shoes play a key role in keeping your kids’ feet and legs healthy. A shoe that fits properly will allow your child to run and play without a care in the world. However, a shoe that doesn’t have the right amount of support or that doesn’t fit properly, will create several foot and leg problems.
Some of the most common foot problemsI have seen from children not wearing supportive shoes or the correct shoe size are blisters, calluses, and corns, as well as foot pain in the bottom of the foot.
Children impose an enormous amount of stress to their feet and legs, and wearing supportive shoes will reduce the impact that their feet and legs take every time they come in contact with the ground.
NEVER underestimate the importance of properly fitted shoes. There are certain shoe style that will provide more support than others.
Below you can find some of the advantages of providing your child with well-made shoes:
- Your child will get longer wear out of them since the shoe will hold up better.
- It will reduce orthopedic and chiropractic problems.
- Children will feel more comfortable in the shoes, which will lead to a more active and healthier lifestyle.
I always recommend parents providing their kids with one well-made pair of shoes to use it as an every day shoe rather than buying several cheaper low quality pairs that might lead to less support or breathability.
Always purchase shoes with leather uppers, and avoid buying shoes made out of plastic. Leather is the best material for shoes because it breathes and it holds up better. It’s important for the shoes to be breathable since children’s feet tend to sweat a lot, which can lead to odors and bacteria forming inside the shoe. Leather also tends to adapt to the shape of the foot and it maintains the structure of the shoe and the support. The quality and amount of leather is what makes the cost of the shoe higher or lower.
When companies decide to outsource their products overseas, they are compromising their values by taking part in markets that treat employees unfairly, ignore cultures, deteriorate environments and create inequality.
I always recommend that parents take their children to their local kids’ shoe store to support local businesses and to properly have their kids’ feet measured. However, not all families have a local kids’ shoe store that they trust, that is the reason whyI created a map that showcases the best fitting children’s shoe stores by state, so I suggest you start by taking a look at that map:
If after looking at that map you still can’t seem to identify a shoe store in your area, then proceed to taking a look at an article along with a video I created that describes the simplest, yet most effective way to figure out your child’s foot size from home:
Now that you know what features a good shoe must provide and how to figure out your child’s exact foot size from home, let me show you a selection of the most supportive American-made shoes for children, that are also available in medium, wide, and extra wide widths!
The Best Children’s Shoes Made in the USA – ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Please keep in mind that I only write reviews of shoe styles that I have fitted before, otherwise I wouldn’t know how well-made they are, the amount of support that they provide, and how they fit.
All of these shoe styles fit “true to size”, which means that you need a half a size longer of the size that your child measured in the standard foot measuring scale (Brannock Device), in order to allow for growing room.
All of these shoe styles also fit “true to size”, which means that you need a half a size longer of the size that your child measures in the shoe measuring scale in order to allow for growing room.
Please keep in mind that with the New Balance styles it’s hard to tell whether they were all American-made until you can check the label of the shoes,
Do you prefer to wear shoes for yourself that are also American-made? I actually wrote an article where I describe the best women’s shoes made in USA and you can find it here:
Would you consider purchasing a shoe made in America even if it meant paying a higher price? Are there any other American-made shoe companies for children that I didn’t mention? Please share your thoughts and experiences below so other parents can benefit from them.