Are you having a hard time finding American-made shoes for your child? They are getting HARDER to find because most shoe companies outsource their production to China, Vietnam or Indonesia. Why should you care about where you kids’ shoes are made? Here are the top 3 reasons:
- You are saving and creating American jobs!
- You are protecting the environment since many of the top countries where our children’s shoes come from have little to non-existent regulations when it comes to protecting the environment!
- You are supporting human rights since most of the countries we are importing shoes from have few workplace standards and poor working conditions.
I created a list that contains brands that make MOST of their shoes in the United States. If you think that shoe companies are not making their shoes in the USA, think again! By purchasing shoes made in America, we are not only supporting American workers and safe working conditions, we are also supporting child labor laws.
When we buy shoes made in the United States, we can rest assured that American consumer protection laws and safety standards are being enforced.
Here is an interesting fact: During the 1960’s, the USA was the number ONE leading manufacturer of footwear.
Can you believe that now 99.8 % of the shoes sold in the USA are made abroad?
The only reason for this is corporate profits. Let’s see if we can find shoes that fit your kids’ feet and your values! Keep in mind that in most instances, American-made products are going to be higher priced because they are better quality.
Which Brands Manufacture American-Made Shoes For Kids?
Below you can find a list of children’s shoes made in the USA:
- Kepner Scott: Did you know that this brand makes shoes by hand and that they are located in Origsburg, Pennsylvania? This company makes everyday shoes, casual shoes, dress shoes, boots and sandals for children! Their shoes are reasonable priced considering that they are of such high quality. Their models are priced between $20 and $40, which are competitive priced and comparable to what you will pay in department stores for shoes.
- New Balance: Keep in mind that not all New Balance shoes are produced in America. However, this company does produce over four million pairs of shoes in the U.S. each year. You must check the label of the shoe in order to be certain that a particular shoe is American-made. Did you know that even then you will not be guaranteed a 100% American-made shoe? New Balance labels its shoes as “Made in the USA” if their “domestic value” is at least 70% of the shoe’s total price.
- Soft Star Shoes: Because their shoes are made in the USA, the customer receives superior customer service. They will NEVER let you get stuck with a pair that doesn’t fit right, and they have generous return and exchange policies. This is a socially and environmentally responsible kids’ shoe company. All of their shoes are designed to imitate barefoot walking that promotes natural foot development. However, I only believe that soft minimalist footwear should be worn when a child is learning how to walk. I wrote a post where I explain this in more detail. The post is called:
- Minimalist Shoes For Kids – It’s Time To Straight Up Some Rumors
A new national survey by the Consumer Reports National Research Center shows that 78% of Americans would favor a product made in the U.S rather than one made abroad. More than 80 percent of Americans stated keeping manufacturing jobs as one of the most important reasons for purchasing American products. About 60 percent of Americans were worried about the use of child labor, and stated how American-made products were of a higher quality.
Higher quality products are going to cost more, but we as consumers shouldn’t look at it as an extra cost, but rather as an investment in America. What are the first thoughts that come to your mind when you read “Made in America”?
I automatically think of GOOD QUALITY!
Why Is It Important To Wear Well-Made Shoes?
Shoes play a huge role in keeping our kids’ feet and legs healthy! A shoe that fits properly will allow your child to run and play without a care in the world. However, a shoe that doesn’t have the right support or that doesn’t fit properly, will create several foot and leg problems! I created a post where I describe some of the drawbacks of not providing your child with the correct shoe size. The post is called:
Your children impose an enormous amount of stress to their feet and legs, and wearing the correct pair of shoes will keep their feet and legs healthy! NEVER underestimate the importance of properly fitted shoes.
You might be asking yourself, “What are the best shoes for my children?”. I created a post where I break it down by age and describe the most supportive, well-made shoes for children! The post is called:
What Are Some Of The Advantages Of Wearing Well-Made Shoes?
Below you can find some of the advantages of providing your child with well-made shoes:
- Your child will get longer wear out of them since the shoe will hold up better.
- It will reduce orthopedic and chiropractic problems.
- Children will feel more comfortable in the shoes, which will lead to a more active and healthier lifestyle.
I always recommend parents buy one WELL-MADE pair of shoes for their child and use it as an everyday shoe rather than purchase several cheaper low quality pairs that might lead to less support or breathability.
Always purchase shoes with leather uppers, and avoid buying shoes made out of plastic. Leather is the best material for shoes because it breathes and it holds up. Children’s feet tend to sweat a lot, which can lead to odors and bacteria forming inside the shoe. Leather also tends to adapt to the shape of the foot and it maintains the structure of the shoe and the support. The quality and amount of leather is what makes the cost of the shoe higher or lower.
When companies decide to outsource their products overseas, they are compromising their values by taking part in markets that treat employees unfairly, ignore cultures, deteriorate environments and create inequality.
I always recommend that parents take their children to their local kids’ shoe store to support local businesses and to properly have their kids’ feet measured. However, not all families have a local kids’ shoe store that they trust. IF you don’t have a kids’ shoe store in your area, below you can find a selection of the best fitting and best made shoes for children, that are also available in medium, wide, and extra wide widths!
All of these shoe styles fit “true to size”, which means that you need a half a size longer of the size that your child measures in the shoe measuring scale in order to allow for growing room.
Would you consider purchasing a shoe made in America even if it meant paying a higher price? Are there any other American-made shoe companies for children that I didn’t mention? Do you have a particular brand you prefer when getting shoes for your child? Please share your thoughts and experiences below so we can all benefit from them!