Are you always concerned about keeping your kids’ feet and legs healthy? Did you know that the shoes that we provide for our kids play a huge role in preventing them from developing blisters, calluses, bunions and corns?
I have been working for a children’s shoe store for over 8 years now, and this is a specialized shoe store that focuses on children with foot and leg problems. We help children with flat feet, knock knee, or rolled ankles to walk and run straighter by providing them with the correct pair of shoes.
NEVER underestimate the importance of well fitted shoes specially when it comes to children, since they will not only keep their feet and legs healthy, but they will also PREVENT your child from developing foot issues.
One common question parents ask is about whether children can develop bunions and the answer is that they can. Hallux Valgus or what is commonly known as bunions is a foot deformity that affects the big toe.
In the case of Hallux Valgus, there is a deviation in the bones that join at the big toe. This sees the edge of the big toe pointing outwards. It is scientifically referred to as the medial deviation of the metatarsal and lateral deviation of the big toe.
The deformity causes a great deal of discomfort and pain. It can also create difficulty in walking and promote an abnormal walking gait especially when wearing shoes that are too short or too narrow.
Why do we must prevent kids from developing bunions? The foot pain created from bunions will absolutely stop kids from walking or running long distances, playing sports, or being active.
The most common mistake parents make is to only worry about their child having length space when buying them shoes, and they forget about the importance of providing them with the correct width space. Please keep in mind that providing your child with the correct shoe width has the same importance as providing them with the correct shoe length.
In order to prevent foot issues such as calluses, you must always make sure you are providing your child with a pair of shoes that come with a nice round toed-box. This will prevent your kids toes from overlapping each other or rubbing against the side of the shoe.
In this post, I will provide you with a selection of the bet shoes for hallux valgus. These are also the best shoes to make sure your child doesn’t develop bunions.
What Are The Causes Of Hallux Valgus?
There have been many debates about the main cause of Hallux Valgus or bunions, and till date, no specific reason for the formation of Hallux Valgus has been agreed on scientifically.
There has also been disagreement that bunions are caused by wearing ill-fitting shoes, while others believe it’s genetic. In all these disagreements, one common ground they all agreed on is that the type of footwear you choose to provide for your child will surely worsen the condition.
If you provide your child with shoes that are too short or too narrow you will be squeezing your kids’ toes and they will start rubbing against each other or the side of the shoe. This in time will force the bone to cave in at the joint and create the condition we know as Hallux Valgus.
This condition can begin to form from the earlier stages in kids when the bone tissues are still soft. I have seen many cases of Hallux Valgus in kids due to ill-fitted shoes especially in girls. It is common for parents to buy their girls high heel shoes that are pointed at the top and tight fitted at the edges. This will tend to push the toes inward as the joint in the toe deviate to form bunions.
When children are wearing the wrong shoe size they are more likely to develop this condition.. Although the cause of hallux valgus seems to be vague, taking care of your kids’ feet will greatly reduce or fully eliminate the pain created by Hallux Valgus.
Now that we know the causes of Hallux Valgus and the importance of wearing the correct type of shoes, let’s take a look at which are the best shoes to improve and prevent this condition from happening.
Which Are The Best Shoes For Hallux Valgus?
We know how Hallux Valgus can cause a great deal of pain and can affect the way your child walks. Though the type of shoe you wear has not been scientifically proven to be the cause of the deformity, it is agreed upon that the type of shoe you choose to provide for your child will worsen the condition.
So this raises the question, what type of shoes are most suitable for preventing or reducing pain caused by Hallux Valgus?
I am going to describe what type of features you need to look for in a shoe if your child is suffering from Hallux Valgus and how the shoe can help prevent the deformity.
- Supportive shoes: Wearing the right type of shoes with the proper arch support will not only allow your child to walk and run straighter, but it will also reduce the pressure on the toe joint. Did you know that children with flat feet tend to have a high propensity for developing bunions? Providing your child with a pair of good, supportive shoes will keep his or her feet and legs comfortable and healthy.
- Shoes with round toed-boxes: Wearing shoes that are wide enough around the toes will allow for your kids toes to freely move and prevent them from overlapping each other. There is a particular shoe brand called New Balance which tends to make the deepest, and widest shoes with the roundest toed-boxes.
- Shoes that are deep: A deep shoe means that your child’s foot will sit comfortable inside the shoe. For example, when a child requires an orthotic, we always look for deeper shoes in order for the orthotic to fit deep down inside the shoe and don’t raise the kids’ feet up. A deep shoe will also prevent your kids toes from rubbing against the top of the shoe.
- Avoid high heels and shoes with pointy toed-boxes: High heels and narrow tips may be trendy, but they can be very uncomfortable and in case of children, they don’t provide enough room for their toes to move comfortably. Since your kid’s toes are still in the stage of formation, this may create a permanent deformation.
The shoe styles described below offer good arch and ankle support, are lightweight and flexible, and they provide great breath-ability and traction. I also recommend this shoe styles for children that have the Hallux Valgus condition.
Below you can find a selection of the best shoes for Hallux Valgus:
The shoes below will fit a child that has narrow, medium, or wide feet (choose the width accordingly).
This first selection of shoes fit “short”, which means that you need to go a whole size longer of the size that your child measures in the shoe measuring scale in order to allow for growing room.
The shoes below will fit a child with medium, wide, or extra wide feet.
This selection of shoes fit “true to size”, which means that you need to go a half a size longer of the size that your child measures in the shoe measuring scale in order to allow for growing room.
The reasons why I recommend these particular shoe styles are:
- They provide adequate support to the feet such as arch and ankle support and they come with a substantial sole to support the feet.
- They are deep and come with one of the roundest toed-boxes. The shoes are available in wide and extra wide widths, guaranteeing that they will fit the shape of your kids’ feet no matter how wide they are. This means that the shoes will not put any pressure on the toe joint which will greatly reduce or fully eliminate the pain to those suffering from Hallux Valgus.
- The shoes are available in various sizes since they go all the way from toddler sizes to teenage sizes. They are available for kids between the ages of 2 years and above.
Please don’t forget about the importance of providing your child with the correct shoe size. Remember that shoes that don’t FIT properly are a direct cause for foot and leg pain, and they can lead to several foot issues such as blisters, calluses, corns, and BUNIONS.
I always recommend parents to take their children to their local shoe store, where a shoe fitter can properly measure their feet and find shoes that FIT properly. However, several parents have contacted me asking where they can get their kids shoes online since they don’t have a local shoe store that they trust. If you must get your kids shoes online, there is a post I wrote where I explain the most effective and simple method to measure your kids’ feet and find shoes accordingly. You can find that post here:
Kids With Bunions – Is Surgery The Best Solution?
Wearing the correct type of shoes will PREVENT bunions from forming, reduce or fully eliminate the pain your child might be experiencing. This simple, non-surgical method will treat the symptoms. However, when nothing else works, surgery can be a good option.
Something so simple such as providing your child with the correct shoe style and the correct shoe size will keep your kids’ feet healthy. Even if your child has developed a bunion, the correct type of shoe will reduce the pressure and allow him or her to live a healthy lifestyle.
Did you know that children can develop bunions? Have you tried a particular shoe style that has helped relieve the pain from this condition? Please share your thoughts and experiences below so we can all benefit from them.