Have you always wondered what is the best online shoe retailer for kids? Do you tend to buy your kid’s shoes online or at your local kids’ fitting shoe store? Most children can live with an ill-fitting t-shirt or pants, but a shoe that doesn’t fit properly is effectively useless and it can create a myriad of problems for your child’s feet and legs.
I always recommend parents to take their children to their local children’s shoe storethat they trust, the issue is that most stores have been closing down and parents need to end up buying their kids’ shoes online. There is nothing wrong with this, but you must know your child’s exact foot size in order to know what size to order.
I created a map that showcases the best fitting children’s shoe stores by state, so I suggest you start by taking a look at that map:
If after looking at that map you still can’t seem to identify a shoe store in your area, then proceed to taking a look at an article along with a video I created that describes the simplest, yet most effective way to figure out your child’s foot size from home:
Buying kids’ shoes online is not an easy thing to do. You might know your children’s exact foot size, but that’s only the starting point when trying to figure out their actual shoe size.
For example, let’s say that your child’s foot size is a size 7. Since we always want to allow for a certain amount of growing in your kids’ shoes, I recommend going a half a size longer (3/8 of an inch) to allow for growing room, which means that you will end up getting your child a shoe size 71/2.
However, if the shoes fit “short” then you will have to provide your child with a shoe size 8 (a whole size longer instead of a half a size). On the other hand, if the shoes fit “long”, then you will have to provide your child with a shoe size 7 (since the shoe already fits long).
Does this make sense to you?
The good news is that I know how most kids’ shoe styles fit, since I have been fitting children’s shoes for the last 10 years at a specialized shoe store that focuses on children with foot and leg problems, but we provide regular shoe fittings as well. I am familiar with the best kids’ shoe brands and the best styles among those brands.
With so many online retailers offering discounted prices and free shipping, it is hard to choose which one is better to shop from. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular online retailers that sell children shoes:
What Is The Best Place To Buy Kids’ Shoes Online? – Let’s Find Out!
The websites mentioned above are just some of the many options you will find when looking for children’s shoes online.
Some of the online retailers I mentioned above are definitely better and offer several advantages compared to the others. My #1 recommendation for buying children’s shoes online is Amazon. Let me explain you the reasons why:
- Prices: Amazon offers the best prices when it comets kids’ shoes, no other online shoe retailer has lower prices than Amazon when it comes to children’s shoes. One of the greatest advantages of shopping at Amazon is that you can find te previous version of the shoes at a much lower price.
- Security: Amazon is a very well-known and trusted company. They take security very seriously. and it gives me a piece of mind shopping somewhere where I know my identity is always kept safe.
- Reviews: This is a huge plus for someone who is looking to buy their kids’ shoes on Amazon. Other parents are reviewing those shoes that you are planning to purchase, and they will let other parents know whether they are or have been happy with that particular style. They will also tell you whether the shoe runs long, short, narrow, or wide.
- Fast and free shipping: Amazon offers faster shipping than most online retailers and very low shipping fees. If you are a member of their program you will get free shipping.
- Cash back for discounted prices even after purchase: You will get cash back if a price is dropped after you purchased it, as long as you are between 7 calendar days of the delivery date of the product. Amazon will process a refund for the price difference. This is an awesome feature!
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Amazon came up with Prime Wardrobe which is a new program where you can try before you buy from eligible items across women’s, men’s, kids clothing, shoes, and accessories. You will get seven days to try-on the items at home and you will only be charged for the items you decide to keep.
Try Before You Buy – Prime Wardrobe
This is how it works:
- You can select up to 8 items which can be clothing or accessories (in this case it could be your kids’ shoes).
- Try these items from the comfort of your home (you will be choosing different sizes and styes).
- Decide which items you want to keep (only pay for the shoe that fits).
- Enjoy free, easy returns (a resealable box and prepaid label makes returns easy).
Let’s Narrow It Down – Amazon VS Zappos?
The other online shoe retailer that comes close to Amazon shoe shopping advantages is Zappos. Some parents will argue that they get a wider selection of shoes to choose from at Zappos, and they are right about that. However, you know there are only certain shoe styles that will fit your kids’ feet right? Just because Zappos has a broader shoe selection, this doesn’t mean that your child will get to choose from all of their choices.
For example, at the children’s shoe store that I work for, once I am done measuring the kids’ foot, most of the time parents will say:
Just bring out what will fit the shape of his/her foot best. These parents know that their child has a narrow, wide or extra wide foot and the selection is more limited.
I proceed to bring out some of the shoe styles that are going to ft the shape of the child’s foot better. We probably have around 60 to 70 different shoe styles to choose from, but I bring 4 to 5 shoe styles out because not every style will fit the child’s feet properly. Especially if your child has a wide to an extra wide foot, there are only a few choices for your child to wear.
I know Amazon carries every single shoe style that shoe companies make in wide and extra wide widths, so in this case, Zappos broader selection doesn’t necessarily translate into a greater advantage.
Below I summarize the difference between Amazon and Zappos:
- When it comes to selection and variety Zappos offers a wider selection of shoes to choose from.
- Zappos has an excellent return policy with fast and free shipping (only between the United States). For Amazon it depends on each particular shoe and how much you are spending. If you are a member of any of the program they offer, you will get fast and free shipping as well.
- When it comes to prices, Amazon offers better deals and discounts.
There are no two feet alike, and all shoe brands and styles fit different. If there is a particular shoe style that you are having trouble finding for your child, please contact me directly, and I will help you find it.
Why Amazon and Not Zappos?
While Zappos is a great place to buy kids’ shoes from, Amazon overall benefits greatly surpasses Zappos. For example, if you have young children, you need to constantly be buying baby food, clothes, toys, diapers, you name it… Amazon has it all and for the best prices. You can buy all those things at the best prices from Amazon, while Zappos limits you to only buying shoes.
What Is The Best Program Amazon Offers To Buy Kids’ Shoes?
Amazon is offering what they call the Amazon Family Program! This is a great program if you have young children or babies and you tend to buy shoes and other stuff online! This program offers special benefits for just $99 per year. Some of their benefits include:
- Saving 20% on diapers subscriptions
- Exclusive Coupons and Deals from Amazon Family
- Exclusive Baby Registry benefits
- FREE Two-Day Shipping on millions of items
- Unlimited instant streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows
- Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs and more Prime benefits
You will not only have access to free shipping for your kids’ shoes and several coupons and discounts, you will also get to save in everything that relates to your babies and young children.
If you are looking to purchase children’s shoes online, Amazon is the best place for you. You will be able to read what other parents experiences have been with that particular shoe style that you are looking for and you will be guaranteed to get the BEST price for the shoes! No one offers better prices than Amazon!
Everything that relates to durability, fit, and style is discussed under the review section of that particular shoe style. However, I will be able to provide you with an answer to any question you might have about the shoes that you are looking for your child. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly about anything that relates to your kids’ feet.
Whether you’re looking for ballet flats, sport shoes, sandals, boots, loafers, Mary Janes, slippers, running shoes, uniform school shoes or crib shoes, Amazon has them all. I have to say that they will save you time and money as long as you know exactly what shoe size and shoe style your child needs.
Have you shopped at Amazon before? Which online retailer do you prefer when it comes to finding children’s shoes? Are you a member of any of the programs that Amazon has to offer? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comment section below so other parents can benefit from them.